DF Technical & Consulting Services Ltd.
Indoor Air Quality and Environmental Experts


Making Mould Removal A Top Priority

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhen most people think of mould, they conjure up images of a sandwich that has been left out for too long and has begun to grow that “green stuff”. Recognizing mould as a sign that food has gone bad, generally causes us to do no more than throw out the expired eats. There are, however, several types of moulds. And, as you may have guessed, they’re not exactly good for your health. So preventing exposure is an important practice.

So how many types of moulds are there? Well, there are several. But as MedicineNet.com explains it, the one to most watch out for are those that are commonly found in our households. The common types of household moulds, says the site, are known as Cladosporium, Penicillium, Alternaria and Aspergillus. There not exactly all that easy to pronounce, are they? And often, they’re not all that easy to detect.

MedicineNet.com explains, however, that “Stachybotrys chartarum” is the greenish-black mould that often grows on household surfaces that have a high cellulose content. This includes materials such as wood, fibreboard, gypsum board, paper, dust and lint. And while you may not realize that you are being affected by mould, any bouts of wheezing, sneezing, sniffling, coughing, watery eyes, itchy eyes, runny nose or rash could be signs that you have a mould problem.

And while everyone is at risk, there are some of us who are more susceptible to these symptoms of mould exposure than others. Infants and children are more at risk than most adults. However, pregnant women and those who suffer from respiratory problems, allergies and asthma will also have quite difficult times if they are exposed to mould. In addition to potential asthma attacks, such individuals may also encounter flu-like symptoms, headaches and even memory loss.

Unfortunately, mould exposure can cause us all a lot more harm than that. The previously-mentioned Stachybotrys has been known to create compounds with toxic properties known as mycotoxins. On his website, Dr. Joseph Mercola explains that “Mycotoxins are chemical toxins present within or on the surface of the mould spore, which you then unwittingly inhale, ingest, or touch. These mould toxins are extremely potent and often affect nearly every organ system in your body.”

Needless to say, this is some pretty scary stuff. In fact, these facts suggest that many of our common health problems could potentially be a result of mould exposure. But Dr. Mercola reveals that mycotoxins can actually cause damage to our brains. “Some are neurotoxic and produce central nervous system effects, including cognitive and behavioral changes, ataxia, and convulsions,” he explains, “Approximately 70 percent of the people with confirmed exposure to toxigenic moulds exhibit significant neurotoxicity.”

So what can be done about mould? Clearly, it’s a big enough problem that a solid solution is necessary. At DF Technical & Consulting Services Ltd., we confidently provide that solution through our Mould Assessment Services. As part of our commitment to you, our expert staff will assess, analyze and report on your home, office or building. During our comprehensive assessments, we perform a number of important duties.

They include visual inspections for sources of mould, an analytical sampling for source and health impact potential from spore exposure, moisture analysis and thermal scanning. We guarantee top-of-the-line service to ensure upon the safety of your home or place of business. We make ridding your property of mould a top priority. For more information on our Mould Assessment Services, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-855-668-3131 or email info@dftechnical.ca.

Leave A Comment