In our last blog, we excitedly reported the fact that Canada is inching closer towards banning asbestos throughout the country. Once widely used for insulation purposes in the construction of homes and office buildings, among other things, asbestos is a well-known killer. Once airborne, its fibres can get lodged in our lungs causing various forms of lung cancer as well as mesothelioma.
The Canadian Labour Congress is lobbying for the federal government to make its ban of asbestos official as early as this summer. On their website, they note that “Canadian imports of asbestos are growing, from $4.7 million in 2011 to $8.2 million in 2015. As a result, more and more Canadians are being put at risk.” They go on to list a number of facts about asbestos that prove it should be completely outlawed.
Here are five reasons Canada needs to ban asbestos now:
1. It is a proven killer of Canadians. The CLC reports that asbestos is the leading cause of workplace-related deaths in our country. Upwards of 2,000 Canadians die every year due to diseases associated with asbestos exposure. “Death from mesothelioma increased 60 percent between 2000 and 2012,” they reveal, “Internationally, the World Health Organization (WHO) says there are 107,000 asbestos-related deaths per year.”
2. Asbestos-related diseases are increasing. You would think that with an increase of knowledge about asbestos and its harmful effects that there would be greater precautions taken to protect Canadians from them. Not so. “In 1992, there were 276 recorded cases of mesothelioma,” informs the CLC, “Twenty years later the number of new cases of mesothelioma has more than doubled, with 560 recorded in 2012.”
3. Canada is importing asbestos at an increasing rate. Again, it’s puzzling why the nation would continue to import products made with asbestos. But, as we mentioned earlier, the imports of asbestos continues to rise. All evidence points towards this trend leading to increased deaths of Canadians. And it can all be avoided if the federal government outlaws the deadly material once and for all.
4. It puts Canadians’ jobs at risk. It’s bad enough that asbestos is bad for our health. But, as the CLC notes, it’s bad for our economy as well. Many of the asbestos-containing products that Canada is importing can be manufactured here at home. “Canada is importing replacement brake pads and linings containing asbestos, despite the fact that Canada manufactures non-asbestos replacement alternatives,” reveals the CLC.
5. 56 countries have already banned asbestos. Canada is well known for being one of the best countries in the world to live. The fact that it is lagging far behind the rest of the world when it comes to banning asbestos is nothing short of embarrassing. Industrialized nations like France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan and South Korea have all banned asbestos already. It’s time we catch up!
DF Technical & Consulting Services Ltd. fully supports a nationwide ban of asbestos. As part of our commitment to keeping Canadians safe, we offer Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) Services that inspect duct work, furnaces, plumbing, electrical wiring, attics, cinder block walls, ceilings and flooring for asbestos. For more information, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-855-668-3131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.