Mould is a problem. We may not always realize how damaging the effects of mould can be to our health when we see it growing on some food that has been left out for too long. But we should realize that if mould is growing in certain areas of our homes and offices, it should certainly be removed. Sometimes, mould is hard to detect. After all, if it’s hiding behind the walls or underneath heaping piles of your belongings, you may not even know it’s there.
Do you smell something musty in the air? This might be the first sign that you have a mould issue. As Dr. Edward F. Group III of GlobalHealingCenter.com points out, “most of the toxic mould floating around in our air is actually invisible to the naked eye, but still may be seriously affecting your health.” So you can’t just rely on what you see to determine whether or not you have a mould problem. You should consider how you’re feeling as well.
Are you experiencing any allergic reactions? According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, “allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).” Enduring any of these symptoms may also be a sign that you have some mould to eliminate from your property. Here are five other important reasons to eliminate mould.
1. The body requires clean air to function. According to Dr. Group, an environment free of mould helps for us all to function normally. “Ancient oriental medicine tells us that clean, fresh air, is one of the most important components of not only physical, but also mental health,” he writes, “Simply put, without clean air, the body cannot function properly. When the body is not functioning properly, the mind cannot function with ease and clarity.”
2. It can cause depression. Who would have thought that there was a correlation between the air we breathe and the way we think? Dr. Group writes that “a groundbreaking report from 2007 stated that scientists found a direct correlation between a high presence of mould in households and depression.” He also reveals that other studies have found links between airborne mould spores and depression.
3. Mould can be anywhere. Mould isn’t exactly all that easy to avoid considering that it can attach itself to our daily-used items and belongings. Dr. Group explains that mould enjoys growing in warm and humid environments and can live off of any organic matter. This includes our clothing and food. It can also grow on bathroom walls, shower walls, carpets, doors, window sills, ceilings and wallpaper.
4. It can be hard to detect. To reiterate a point made earlier, we can’t assume that there is no mould growing in our homes and offices simply because we don’t see it. Mould needs only moisture to find a home. As the EPA explains, “moulds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mould may begin growing indoors when mould spores land on surfaces that are wet.”
5. The more mould there is, the more dangerous it gets. “Although a small amount of mould and mildew won’t hurt most of us, it begins to become a big problem when the mould spores get out of hand,” writes Dr. Group, “When quantity does get out of hand, or when individuals who are highly sensitive to toxic mould, breathe it in, it can present a serious health hazard.” Therefore, to avoid health issues caused by mould, it’s important to professionally inspect your property.
At DF Technical & Consulting Services Ltd., we offer top-quality Mould Assessment Services. For more information, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-855-668-3131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.